Wednesday, August 6, 2014

Brownie Bowl Pin-tastrophe!!

So, as anyone who uses ideas and recipes from Pinterest very often will know, not everything from there always turns out just like the picture.

I'll admit that this has happened to me on occasion. Sometimes it's because I do something wrong, but sometimes it's just a lousy idea that simply doesn't work.

Last week we had one of those pin-trosities happen!

My twelve year old son and I were preparing to make our family a Monday night treat. As usual we went to Pinterest and looked through my "fabulous food - sweet treats" board for pinspiration.

We found an idea on there (pinned a couple of times actually...anyone else accidentally pin things multiple times?). It was for these brownie bowls that you could put ice cream in.

They looked good, and easy enough, so we got to work on them.
 

All you had to do, according to the instructions, was to make any brownie batter, pour it into a greased muffin tin, then set another muffin tin (greased on the bottom side) on top and bake it like that. Then, when they come out of the oven you should have beautiful, perfectly shaped bowls of brownie goodness ready to fill with your favorite ice cream.
 

Sounds easy enough, right?

Well, not so much.
 

We followed those very directions...mixed up our brownie mix, thouroughly sprayed our muffin tins (I even have a picture for proof!), filled them, put the other tin on top, and popped them in the oven.
 

... But what came out of the oven was NOT perfectly shaped bowls of brownie goodness ...


What we had was a big ugly brownie mess!! A big pin-daster!!
 

So, of course I did some more Pinterest searching to see if I could discover what we did wrong. But, what I found was interesting. I couldn't find any other successful attempts at making these bowls this way.

The pin I used, with pictures of beautiful perfect brownie bowls was from an ice cream company, and that particular advertisement was pinned hundreds (or more) times.

The only other successful actual attempts I found were from people who used specialty pans especially made for making these bowls.

That made us feel a a little better I guess.

And, it wasn't a total loss... We still ate the brownie we could scrape out of the pan, and it still tasted good!
 

But, I don't give up easily. And I'm still not satisfied that there's not a way to use the pans I have to make brownie bowls. I have a few ideas floating around in my mind that we could try... So stay tuned, maybe someday I'll be able to pin a more fool proof method for creating perfectly shaped brownie bowls with two muffin tins!

I don't think I'll have trouble finding kids to eat whatever brownie mess I make in the mean time!

No comments:

Post a Comment