Friday, October 10, 2014

Fall Porch Decor


I have loved living somewhere this year where we have actual seasons. I may miss Vegas' warmth this winter when I am turning into an ice cube here, but since moving to Idaho in February I am constantly in awe of the wonders of nature. 

 
The end of winter was beautiful, my kids loved playing in the last of the season's snow. We were thrilled when Spring came and tulips and daffodils started blooming in our neighbor's yards and all around us. Then summer showed up and I got to grow a garden that didn't wither away in the heat. And for the last little while we've been really enjoying a gorgeous fall. 

It's been a while since we have lived somewhere that the trees actually turn colors (Vegas' palm trees don't do that!). The reds, the oranges, the yellows... so pretty! I love it! 

Another fun thing about where we live right now is that the house has a front porch... not a big wrap around porch like my dream house has, but one that is plenty big for me to try my hand at decorating for the seasons! 


I should add here, that I have great kids too! When summer was coming to a close I mentioned to my oldest son that I wished I knew where I could get some hay bales. Ideas for my porch were swirling in my head, and I knew that hay bales would make for a great start to the decor. Later that day my son asked me to come see something... I followed him outside, and there on my porch were two giant hay bales! That's my son...  when there's a desire, he finds a way! What a good boy! 

I hadn't gotten all my ideas together just yet, but now that I had the hay I had to do something. I couldn't just let plain old bales of hay sit on my porch. So, of course I turned to Pinterest for some fall porch decorating pin-spiration! 

Of course, I found a lot of great ideas. Some of the ones I used to get my Fall Porch adorned were from here, here, and here.

 Luckily I had a few cute scarecrow decorations tucked away that fit the decor just right.  Then I found some Fall Mums and wrapped the pots in burlap and ribbon. I took the corn stalks that died in an unexpected freeze (a sad day for me) and tied them up with burlap and ribbon also, and then added a big bright sunflower to finish it off. Then I collected some of the corn that wasn't going to ripen enough to eat and put them in baskets. 

Oh, and of course I added a couple of pumpkins. The first ones were ones I bought at the store, but later I added several littler ones that grew in our own garden. 


To top things off I made a fall wreath for my front door. That was easy peasy. I just bought a twig wreath from the craft store, wrapped a wired leaf/acorn/etc. trim around it. Glued on some bigger leaves and berries, and then added a bow and a couple of Sunflowers to it. It probably took less than half an hour to throw it all together.

I added another sunflower and ribbon to the welcome post I made (here) to autumnize it, and that was it! Over time I added a few other things that I came across just for fun too! Like a bucket with more corn stalk tops, and a cute little pumpkin welcome sign. 

I think it all turned out pretty cute for my first porch decorating attempt! Maybe by next Fall I'll even have a cute bench on my porch to decorate with fun things too!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment