Monday, May 19, 2014

Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Tacos

For Cinco De Mayo this year I made a whole pin-spired Mexican dinner for my family. We had Carne Asada Fries, Mini Seven Layer Dip Cups, and Mexican Limeade... all from recipes I found on Pinterest. It was a delicious meal! To top it off my nine year old son and I made these delicious chocolate dipped ice cream tacos for dessert!

I followed the instructions pretty closely on this recipe. Mine didn't turn out as pretty as hers, but they sure tasted good, and they got a definite thumbs up from all my kids, and even my husband! 

Here's how we made our Chocolate Dipped Ice Cream Tacos: 

First I found the smallest flour tortillas I could find. We buttered each and sprinkled a mixture of sugar and cinnamon on them. Then we folded them over and placed them onto a cookie sheet. As suggested, we crumpled up some tin foil and tucked it inside to keep the shells open while we baked them.

We popped them in the oven (at 350 degrees) for about twenty minutes, turning them over and making sure they were keeping their shape half way through.

After they cooled completely we filled them to the rim with vanilla ice cream, being careful not to break any of our shells. Then it was time to put them in the freezer to harden up. I set mine in 8x8 square cake pans to help them stay upright. 

While they were in the freezer we melted chocolate chips in a bowl by putting them in the microwave for about a minute, then stirring well. We also dumped some Christmas sprinkles, that were just the right colors for Cinco De Mayo, into a bowl.

We took the tacos out of the freezer and dipped them into the chocolate, and then immediately into the sprinkles. Here I wish I had followed the original pinner's advice for dipping the chocolate though, and used a mini loaf pan instead of a bowl... that would have made getting the whole top of the taco dipped evenly a lot easier. We ended up using a spoon to get the coverage we wanted.

Once sufficiently covered in chocolate and sprinkles (both the tacos and us - this turned out to be a bit messy!), we put them back in the cake pan to return to the freezer till we were ready to eat them.

Like I said, these were delicious, and super easy. And so fun having one of my kids work with me making these treats!

I don't think my family will let me wait till next year's Cinco De Mayo to make these again!!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment