Monday, May 26, 2014

Mess-less Creamy Corn on the Cob

Happy Memorial Day! Are you barbecuing? What's on your menu today?

My family loves corn on the cob. It's the perfect side for just about anything grilled. And there's something so deliciously refreshing about biting into those juicy kernels and having them burst open into your mouth. Mmmm! 

But, with kids it can be a real mess too. We always open a stick of butter and put it on a plate. Then take the cooked cobs and roll them around in the butter until they are nice and slathered.... and messy!! While it tastes delicious this way, I don't love having buttery hands, and I don't love my kids wiping their buttery fingers all over their clothes, etc. Why do napkins get ignored? 

Well, just in time for grilling season, while perusing Pinterest, I came across a new method (here) for making corn on the cob in a way that still tastes so good, but skips the buttery fingers! 

All you do is fill a pot with water, then add your stick of butter (salted is good) and a cup of milk right into the water. Bring it all to a boil and carefully drop in your ears of corn. Leave it in the boiling water for ten minutes or so (depending on how soft you like your kernels). Then you're done! 

This method made the corn so creamy and tasty. We didn't even have to add any extra butter to the cobs. I think after trying it this way my family loves corn on the cob even more... I didn't think that was possible!  

No comments:

Post a Comment