Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Personalized Picture Clock






This is a project I pin-complished quite a while ago. When I first came across this pin I knew I didn't want to wait long to recreate one of these for myself. I love having unique and useful ways to display pictures, so this was perfect. 

I also like easy, and this was really easy. I think the hardest part was gathering the supplies... I probably spent a good twenty minutes in the aisle at Michael's trying to decide which clock hands I wanted to use! 

I bet you could make this too!








Here's what I used: 

1 12x12 wooden board (purchased at Michael's Craft Store)
1 package of clock parts (also purchased at Michael's)
Craft paint to match my picture (I used black)
Foam paint brushes
Texture cream (purchased here)
      *You could also just use Modge Podge, but I love the texture cream because it gives it the look of canvas)
Spray adhesive
A favorite picture 

Here's what I did:

First, I used a photo editing program to crop my picture to a square and to add the clock numbers. To get the spacing just right I googled clock images and used one as a template over my picture while I added the numbers in the font I wanted (then removed the template). 

I had my picture printed professionally (just at Wal-Mart), and got to work! 
I painted the edges and sides of my board black. When the paint was dry I attached my picture to the board with spray adhesive. Then I carefully applied texture cream over the picture. I did a couple of coats of this to give it a nice criss cross effect and make it look like canvas. 

Once that was all dry I drilled a hole right in the middle of the board. I figured out where the middle was by drawing two lines on the back side of the board, each across from corner to corner. The middle was where the two lines met. 

Once I had the hole drilled I just attached the clock mechanism and hands. I inserted a battery, set the time, and had a beautiful way to display a family picture. 

I loved this project so much, and it was so easy, that I made three more of them right away for gifts. 
I wish I had pictures of those to show you too (especially the one I made for my sister with her cute family picture), but unfortunately my camera got stolen before I had transferred the pictures to my computer :(  (a very sad day), so you'll just have to trust me that it turned out beautiful too!  

No comments:

Post a Comment