Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Foolproof and Delicious Buttermilk Biscuits


Man I love Pinterest! I have found some of the best recipes on ideas on there. Not everything I try turns out to be my favorite, but these have to be the best biscuits I have ever made! 

They turned out thick and flaky, soft, and delicious! No more hockey puck biscuits for me! And no more refrigerated biscuits from a can - the only things I like about those things are the convenience and the fun explosion when you pop them open.

Anyway, like I said these biscuits turned out great. And they were so easy! I followed the recipe (found here) pretty closely. I didn't have buttermilk so I made some by adding one and a half tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to a cup and a half of regular milk and letting it sit for a couple of minutess. And, as often is the case, I doubled it! 

One thing that this recipe has that I don't think I've seen before is to fold over the dough over and over while rolling it out. I think this is probably what makes them so nice and big and fluffy, so don't miss that step! 

Here's the recipe for these amazing Foolproof Biscuits

  • 4 cups flour
  • 5 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 10 tbsp cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
  • 11/2 cups cold buttermilk 
  • 6 tbsp honey

  • Preheat your oven to 400 degrees
  • Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt
  • Mix in butter cubes into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter (or your hands) until it looks like a coarse meal
  • Chill in fridge for ten minutes
  • While the dough is chilling, mix together the buttermilk and honey in a small bowl
  • Stir the buttermilk mixture into the dough/flour mixture just until the dry ingredients are moistened
  • Place dough on a lightly floured work space and knead a couple of time to combine all the ingredients fully (a bit crumbly is okay)
  • Divide the dough into two balls and roll one into a 9x5 rectangle, about half an inch thick, then fold the dough into thirds
  • Roll out and fold into thirds three or four more times
  • Cut biscuits from the dough using an up and down motion
  • (Repeat last few steps with the second ball of dough)
  • Place on baking sheet about 1 inch apart
  • Bake for 11-15 minutes, until the biscuits have risen and are golden brown on top
  • Cool slightly, and serve! 

       (Makes about 16 biscuits)


Thank you Pinterest for another pin-licious recipe! 

No comments:

Post a Comment