Friday, June 20, 2014

"Volcano" Chocolate Cobbler


A couple of days ago I wanted to make my family a treat. I didn't have a lot of time to prepare something so it needed to be pretty easy. And running to the store for ingredients wasn't an option so it had to be something that I already had all the ingredients to make. 

I went to Pinterest and scrolled through my "fabulous food - sweet treats" board and looked through recipes until I found something that I could throw it together pretty quickly, with ingredients I already had. Oh, and of course it had to look yummy! 

Finally I came across a pin for something called "My Granny's Chocolate Cobbler" (here). A quick look over the ingredients and I decided that this would be the easy treat I'd make for my family.  

It was easy to put together, and my kids had a lot of fun watching me make this. They kept wondering what I was doing. At first they thought it was going to be brownies, but putting the powder layer on top of the batter, and then pouring water on top of it all really threw them off.

When it was done it was like a chocolate cake with a surprise gooey center. My kids nick named it a volcano cake! 

We served it warm with a scoop of mint chocolate chip ice cream. Delicious! 

I had a big gang to feed so I doubled the recipe and baked it in a large casserole pan (9x13). I'm glad I did, once we served our Volcano Cake up it didn't take long for the whole thing to disappear! 

Here's how I made our Volcano Chocolate Cobbler (already doubled): 



Ingredients
 
2 cups All-purpose Flour
4 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoons Salt
14 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder, Divided
21/2 cup Sugar, Divided
1 cup Milk
2/3 cups Melted Butter
3 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
1 cups Light Brown Sugar, Packed
3 cups Hot Tap Water




Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, 6 tablespoons of the cocoa, and 1 1/2 cups of the white sugar. Save the rest of the cocoa and sugar for later.

Stir the milk, melted butter, and vanilla into the flour mixture. Mix until smooth.

Pour the mixture into an ungreased 9x13 -inch baking dish. 

In a separate small bowl, mix the rest of the white sugar (one cup), the brown sugar, and rest of the cocoa  8 tablespoons). Sprinkle this mixture evenly over the batter.

Pour the hot tap water over all. DO NOT STIR!

Bake for about 40 minutes or until the center is set.

Let stand for a few minutes.

Serve with ice cream, use the gooey sauce to spoon over it.

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment