Thursday, June 26, 2014

The Best Way to Boil an Egg


 

A while ago I came across a pin that said "How to boil and egg". It showed a picture of a bunch of sliced hard boiled eggs. Some of the eggs looked good, others had that dreaded grey ring around the yolk. Sadly, I recognized the yucky looking ones as ones that might have come out of my own kitchen. 

The caption under the picture read "Do YOU know how to boil an egg?"



 



I thought I did, I mean, how hard can it really be? I had probably boiled eggs a hundred times. But realizing that my eggs didn't always turn out like the ones with the beautiful yolks in that picture I thought that maybe I was missing something in my method. 

So I was intrigued enough to go to follow the link and check out how to get those perfect boiled eggs. 
It really was pretty simple, and I actually already boiled eggs pretty closely to her instructions. But where I had been going wrong for years was not knowing how long to boil the eggs for. Once in a while I'd under boil and get centers that were too soft. But, most of the time I think I erred on the other side and boiled them for way too long, causing those dreaded grey rings. 

So, I followed her instructions, and guess what?!? Perfectly boiled eggs! I'm so glad I found this pin. Now my boiled eggs come out just right, and my kids will eat them because they aren't met with a hard grey rubbery yoke, that's probably more like a bouncy ball than food, when they bite into their egg.

Now, I just need to find a pin with a good tip for getting the shells off those hard boiled eggs! 

Here's the steps for boiling great eggs: 

1. Set your eggs in a pot
2. Cover them with water (about an inch above the eggs)
3.Turn the stove onto medium high heat 
4. As soon as the water comes to a nice rapid boil turn off the heat and put the lid on the pot.
5. Leave them there for ten minutes
6. After ten minutes move the eggs into a bowl of cold water.
7. Let them sit for about five minutes, and then they are ready to eat! 

*You can store any extra in the fridge up to a couple of days


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting, I also must have been overcooking my eggs because my yolks were always that awful grey! Incidentally, I find if you tap the boiled egg all around so the whole egg is cracked, the shell slips off easily and doesn't take any of the egg with it. Keep sharing your pincomplishments, I love them!

    ReplyDelete