Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Simple Double Curtain Rod with Bungee Cords


One of the things I love about Pinterest, besides all the new recipes to try and the fun projects to copy, is the "life hacks" (tips to make life easier) that get pinned. 

I have tried several of these tips. Some of them have worked better than others for me. Like, we tried fixing scratched DVDs with a banana peel... just didn't work for us! And I had no luck trying to reset my printer ink cartridges.  

But, once in a while I try something that works like a dream. 

Luckily I this happened to me recently. 

When we moved into our new home not long ago I tried to use the things that I already had to decorate, etc. 

I put up some valences on my front window that looked really good in our last home. But, the windows there were shorter. The window here was quite a bit bigger and taller (which I love by the way), so the valences looked pretty puny and out of place. 

I was determined to use them though. There were plenty of new things that we were going to have to spend a lot of money on, so I wanted to make these work somehow. 

After staring at them forever I concluded that adding some kind of window panels behind them might help them look better spatially. I found an inexpensive set of sheer panels at a nearby discount store, and hoped they would do the job. 

Then came the task of figuring out how to put them up. The house already had a curtain rod (not my favorite one, but free, so it will do for now at least), but that's what I already had the valences hung on. Replacing it with a double rod, or adding a completely new rod seemed like expensive alternatives. 

That's where Pinterest came in! I remembered seeing, and pinning, a life hack on there about hanging a double curtain up with bungee cords. I looked through my Pinterest boards and found the pin

It was so easy to copy that I didn't even need the tutorial. You probably wouldn't either,  but I'll explain how I did it anyway! 


Step One
Thread a bungee cord through the curtain where a rod would normally go.

Step Two
Attach one end of the bungee cord over the bracket from the exiting curtain rod (already attached to the wall).

Step Three
Attach the other end of the bungee cord over the bracket on the other side of the curtain rod (in my case, since it was a long window, I used two smaller bungee cords and attached them each to the center bracket instead of having one go all the way across).

Step Four
Enjoy your new double curtains without having spent a fortune or a lot of time! 




Easy Peasy!! It worked so well for me. Now I'm looking for other places in my home that could use a second window treatment layer.

P.S. I found my bungee cords at the dollar store in a bag with multiple cords of different sizes. So this really was an inexpensive way to get the results I was looking for. 
 


20 comments:

  1. Great idea! Do you remember what size bungee cords you ended up using?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay...perfect solution to my window treatment issues and funny thing is I also was using the existing “free curtains “ in my new home but wanted to make the window appear larger... thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool! I am getting help putting up curtain rods tomorrow and was trying to figure out how to hang two rods and not have to buy a double curtain rod. This seems much better and I think I have the perfect bungee for the job. Did anyone else paint the bungee cord to make it blend in better? I think that's what I will do since it's bright yellow...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the fabulous idea cuz I don't want to use double rods. I'm using wooden rods/ wooden rings with pins.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work is very engaging! Amazing piece and is worth reading and sharing. Hoping for more of this kind of work of yours author. Meanwhile. If you are interested and looking for curtain fabricationFeel free to check and visit our site and look for our affordable items with a very nice quality. Thank you and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good work, Well detailed and explained by the author. Hoping that it will inspire more readers. Thank you for sharing this author. Randomly, curtain fabrication services our company offers service at a very affordable price, feel free to visit our website if you are interested. Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good work, Well detailed and explained by the author. Hoping that it will inspire more readers. Thank you for sharing this author. Randomly, curtain fabrication our company offers service at a very affordable price, feel free to visit our website if you are interested. Thank you and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice article. Highly recommended. The thoughts are clear and well explained. Thankyou for sharing your work, truly worth reading. On the other hand, if you’re interested in , curtain fabrication services, feel free to visit our website. Thankyou and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice article. Highly recommended. The thoughts are clear and well explained. Thankyou for sharing your work, truly worth reading. On the other hand, if you’re interested in , curtain fabrication services, feel free to visit our website. Thankyou and Godbless!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I’m having a fortnight meeting in USA so my stress reliever is reading some blogs, but it’s quite difficult for me to spend or waste my time in simple blogs or non sense writings then somehow I read your works It’s so confusing because I love your enthusiasm on this subject so I comment on to admire your style. It happens that I’m curious about curtain fabrication, I think you should try to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You Have Impeccable Manners of writings. When you feel gutted to someone or anything, Just continue your work be proud of yourself, because your an inspiration for me, Thank you for being you. Did you visit curtain fabrication services you should try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hanging out with my friends is something that I can live without but rendering my time in serious moments in reading blogs about curtain cleaning is precious time for me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. When you feel gutted to someone or anything, Just continue your work be proud of yourself, because your an inspiration for me, Thank you for being you. Curtain fixing in dubai

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice blog! This article is very worth of reading, your thoughts and creativity is very clearly explained in this article. Good work, very well done. This post will be inspire many people's who are interested in this topic. Thanks for sharing such an informative post.


    Recessed curtain track

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing such kind of nice and wonderful collection......Nice post keep it up and keep sharing. Do you want boat accessories? Visit here bunge cord

    ReplyDelete
  16. solution to my window treatment issues and funny thing is I also was using the existing “free curtains “ in my new home but wanted to make the window appear larger... thanks https://comfortmom.com/best-baby-bottle-nipples/
    !

    ReplyDelete
  17. I really appreciate for your efforts you to put in this article, this is very informative and helpful. I really enjoyed reading this blog. Keep sharing and give us updates.

    double curtain rod

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome!!! Smart idea to use Bungee cord for curtain rods!! You saved me some bucks!! Loved reading your blog! Keep posting updates pls!! Thanks a lot for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I tried this and it works great! I was concerned that the colorful cord would show. It does not. It is hidden by the rod. No one is the wiser. Again it works great! Thank you for sharing this money saving idea!

    ReplyDelete