Friday, June 13, 2014

Crock Pot Teriyaki Chicken with Homemade Teriyaki Sauce


 

Have you ever got started making a recipe only to realize half way through that you don't have all of the ingredients? 

That happened to me this week. I had some chicken thighs sitting in my freezer waiting to be used so I decided on trying out a recipe I pinned a while ago for Teriyaki Chicken.  

I quickly looked through the recipe and thought I had everything I needed. But, when it got time to put in the Teriyaki Sauce, none could be found. I'm sure I had a bottle of it in the pantry... who knows what happened to it! 

So, I did what any Pinterest loving person would do and did a quick search for a homemade Teriyaki Sauce recipe and found a great one (here). 

It claimed to be better than  any store bought sauce so I thought is would be a good one to try. It didn't disappoint! It was a very tasty sauce and gave the chicken just the right amount of sweet and tangy to make it absolutely delicious! 

Here's the recipe(s) I used:

     Teriyaki Chicken

     2 -3 lbs chicken 
     2 cup chicken broth 
     I cup teriyaki sauce (see below for recipe)
     2/3 cup brown sugar
     3 minced garlic cloves

Place chicken in crock pot. Pour other ingredients over chicken. Cook on low for about 6 hours. 

The recipe directed to cut the chicken into pieces beforehand, but since I was using frozen thighs I just added them whole to begin with. Once they had cooked for a few hours I broke them apart into pieces easily with a fork and knife. So I think either way would work well.

     Teriyaki Sauce
     1/3 cup soy sauce
     2 tbsp honey
     1 tbsp brown sugar
     1 minced garlic clove
     1/4 tsp paprika
     1/4 tsp nutmeg
     1 tsp apple cider vinegar
     1/3 cup water
     1 tbsp cornstarch

In a saucepan combine and heat soy sauce, honey, sugar, garlic, paprika, nutmeg, and vinegar over medium heat. Stir frequently.

Dissolve the cornstarch into the water in a separate bowl and then add to saucepan. Mix well. Cook on medium heat for 6-8 minutes, until sauce thickens up.


We ate our Teriyaki Chicken over rice, and added some pineapple and sesame seeds on top. All of my family loved it. While they were gobbling it down my daughter exclaimed "This is Pin-tastic!" I guess that means I'll be making this meal again! 

No comments:

Post a Comment